The South Hutchinson Fire Department is always looking for interested members of the community to serve as Volunteer Firefighters. Like other volunteer organizations our staffing numbers fluctuate as family, jobs, and other life priorities change.
The community trusts the fire department. We require our firefighters to be of the highest moral character. Physical fitness and a good mechanical aptitude are desired qualities that we look for when accepting applications for the department.
For more information check out the SHFD Recruitment Brochure linked at the bottom of the page.
- Submit a completed application (link below) to the Fire Chief's Office
- Applicants must be at least 17 years of age with a high school diploma, GED, or currently enrolled in High School.
- Provide a copy of your current Kansas Drivers License
- Pass a criminal background check
- Pass a drug screening
- Participate in a personal interview with Command Staff.
Residency and Availability Requirements
The best situation for any fire department that utilizes volunteers is for its staff to live and work in the community that is protects. While that is preferred, the reality is that we will accept applications from individuals who can respond within approximately 10 minutes to the station regardless of where they live. Availability is another component for the applicant. From the completed application we will determine if the individual can effectively respond with regard to their job and other factors.
New Recruit Training Program
- Once accepted into the department additional requirements apply
- The department requires probationary firefighters to complete the department's “Recruit Firefighter Training Program”.
- The recruit firefighter is considered in Probationary Status for 90 days from their start date.
- Prior to the recruit being permitted to perform interior firefighting duties, the recruit must complete NFPA Firefighter 1. This must be completed within one year of becoming a member of the department. (Course Fees paid by the department)
Meetings and Special TrainingThe department holds training meetings on the 2nd and 4th Mondays of each month. We also occasionally hold special training events with other fire departments on weekends. Recruit firefighters and especially those in probationary status are required to attend all meetings. Not doing so will result in termination from the department.